Sharda Exports is proud of its' self-initiated focus on sustainable growth. Towards this end, it initiated its' ISO 14001 certification in the year 2000 so as to understand and adopt the international processes trends towards environment- friendly production.
We have an Environmental Management System that starts with optimum usage of resources particularly raw materials, water and energy; and includes effective management & control of wastes generated during the production process.
Our strategy comprises of:
- Environmental Management Programs have been established, maintained & reviewed from time to time for achievement of defined targets.
- Carrying out an Aspect/ Impact analysis of all the possible wastes generated during the design, production and packing process and formulation of Operational Control Procedures for the same.
- Developing and marketing some new products/ designs using re-cycled materials like waste leather, fabric, rubber, ties, denims, jeans labels and even used sweaters. We started with poufs and stools etc., and moved into our core category, i.e. carpets. In fact, we were the first in the world to introduce carpets using waste leather which was at that time supplied free to us.
- Developed some breathtaking designs using different shades of natural yarn, avoiding dyeing altogether.
- Using the right quantity of water, electricity, yarn, chemicals and other materials at all stages of production/ packaging
- Use Sunlight for drying of dyed yarn/ carpets, thus saving on fossil fuels/ electricity.
- Operating a Solar Water Heating System for preheating the process water for dyeing.
- Installed two energy- efficient Air Handling/ heating units with insulated chamber for carpet drying in foggy/ humid weather.
- Using Carbon-Neutral fuel (rice husk/ other agro wastes) for steam generation for dyeing plant thus reducing the greenhouse effect.
- Using Condensate Recycle System for recycling up to 80% of condensate from indirectly heated dyeing machines to the boiler to save on water, energy and chemicals
- Converted the boiler furnace into Fluidized Bed for better fuel efficiency- saved 33% on fuel, and reduced the ash discharge to that extent.
- Installed APFC's (Automatic Power Factor Correction Panels) to maintain the power factor above 0.95 thus reducing power consumption.
- Daily monitoring and control on section-wise power consumption through sub-meters.
- Automatic Level Control System for prevention of overflow from overhead water tanks at all locations
- Installed a Carpet Wash Water Recycle System.
- Effluent Treatment Plant to remove impurities from the dyeing wastewater before disposal.
- Septic Tanks for treatment of domestic sewage water before disposal.
- Segregation of different types of waste at source for better recycle ability.
- Proper handling, storage, preservation and timely disposal of the waste materials/ empty containers to parties that re-use them in an environment friendly manner.
- Going for Carbon Foot print certification to keep a track of carbon saved in the near future.
We reproduce the comments from an international jury at AIT-Trendscoutng Heimtextil 2012 about our products using recycled materials:
The idea is based on a patchwork concept, in fact on the combination of most different fabrics, which as waste products are reused in a new way. Materials to be mentioned here are leather residues, flip-flops, jeans labels, carpet remains, old zip fasteners, which are revamped and composed as carpets, wall hangings, upholstering fabrics for furniture and so on. One aspect that is interesting is that the products are partly waste produced in the First World, which are predominately produced in the Third World by hand and at home. That means it is a transfer between the First and Third World and back.